It’s date night, and you and your significant other are having to spend it apart. What can you do to make the night special for you both, even if you can’t touch?
You’re looking for guidance on how to long-distance date. You want to show your sweetheart that the distance has only given you the chance to show your love in new, creative ways.
In this post, you’ll find 29 long-distance date ideas that will make date night worth looking forward to — and worth savoring hours afterward.
What’s In This Article:
- 29 Long-Distance Date Ideas
- Long-Distance Date Night Ideas
- 1. Arrange for delivery of a favorite take-out meal.
- 2. Take turns reading to each other.
- 3. Buy a round of drinks and send each other pics.
- 4. Get crafty and work on a project together over video chat.
- 5. Send each other on scavenger hunts.
- 6. Send each other care packages, and unbox them together.
- 7. Get a virtual tarot card reading.
- 8. Play a two-person online game.
- 9. Learn a new skill together with a “homework date.”
- Romantic Long-Distance Date Ideas
- 10. Dress up for a virtual dinner date.
- 11. Send flowers and/or treats.
- 12. Arrange for regular deliveries of a favorite beverage.
- 13. Share a secure online drive for love letters and poems to each other.
- 14. Share “naughty” pics (in the most secure way possible).
- 15. Share a sunset or night sky.
- 16. Share a diary and only open on date nights.
- 17. Make a mixtape or share a playlist.
- 18. Make YouTube videos for each other.
- 19. Share an adult coloring book.
- Cheap Long-Distance Date Ideas
- 20. Watch a movie or stream a show together.
- 21. Play a game of 20 questions.
- 22. Build a Pinterest board together.
- 23. Build a Tumblr blog together.
- 24. Text each other daily gratitude messages.
- 25. Start your own two-person book club.
- 26. Schedule daily check-in dates.
- 27. Swap recipes and share results.
- 28. Go on digital vacations together.
- 29. Send “open when” letters.
29 Long-Distance Date Ideas
Whether your dates happen during the day or at night, you’ll find creative, romantic, and budget-friendly ideas here to make your dates as memorable as when you’re together.
Long-Distance Date Night Ideas
1. Arrange for delivery of a favorite take-out meal.
If you know your significant other’s favorite comfort foods, why not order a full meal for them and have it delivered to their door (when you know they’ll be home to collect it)? Then invite them to a virtual dinner date — or send a love note to accompany the meal.
2. Take turns reading to each other.
Whether you talk over the phone or use video chat, you can take turns reading from a book you’ve chosen together.
When you reach the end (over several reading dates), you can both post reviews online to support the author.
3. Buy a round of drinks and send each other pics.
Each of you can buy your favorite drinks and send pics of your prepared drinks next to the liquor, wine, or beer bottles. If you have a favorite drinking game, agree to a set limit on drinks, so neither of you spends the next day hung over.
4. Get crafty and work on a project together over video chat.
If there’s a craft you both enjoy, why not work on a new craft project together over video chat. Whether you’re making the same thing or something different, meet up virtually on a regular basis to check on each other’s progress and to chat while working.
5. Send each other on scavenger hunts.
You can use a scavenger hunt book and choose a list to work from. Or you can give each other your own scavenger hunt lists and check in regularly to see how far you’ve gotten with them.
6. Send each other care packages, and unbox them together.
Put together care packages for each other with little things your sweetie will find useful, as well as thoughtful gifts and favorite treats. Send these (by snail mail) and agree to unbox them together at your next date over web chat (Skype, Zoom, etc.)
7. Get a virtual tarot card reading.
Get a virtual tarot card reading — or psychic reading, if you’re both inclined — and share the reading with your partner, either by forwarding the results (via email) or by reading them during a video chat.
8. Play a two-person online game.
Sign up for a two-person online game and arrange a time to play together. You find a game on Gamesgames.com or Crazygames.com. Keep track of your winnings and celebrate when one of you sets a new record or reaches an important milestone in the game.
9. Learn a new skill together with a “homework date.”
Sign up for an online class to learn a new skill together — whether that’s a new language, a new programming code, or something else. Practice with each other or use your dates to study for an upcoming test or to work together on a class project.
Romantic Long-Distance Date Ideas
10. Dress up for a virtual dinner date.
Dress up as you would for a special date to a nice restaurant (the kind with cloth on the table), and enjoy a virtual dinner date together.
This could be gourmet take-out or it could be regular comfort food washed down with something you both enjoy.
11. Send flowers and/or treats.
Send flowers or a favorite treat to each other with a brief love note. Or use the note to provide a clue for finding a hidden treasure. To express your appreciation, you can create and share private videos or thank each other at your next check-in date,
12. Arrange for regular deliveries of a favorite beverage.
This could be a wine membership, where you’d order the bottles and have them delivered to your partner’s address. Or it could be something else (tea, kombucha, etc.). Whatever helps your SO feel loved and cared for, find a service that will deliver it to them safely.
If one of you already uses DropBox, share the login information so you can both save love letters, poems, stories, and videos to the drive for the other to enjoy. When you’re able to spend more time together, that drive will hold good memories for you both.
Keep in mind, of course, that the internet is forever. Probably best to save those images to a thumb drive and send it by snail mail. Or save it to a password-protected drive you can both access.
Arrange to sit where you can both enjoy the sunset. Or you could each pick a spot where you can enjoy the night sky at the same time, choosing a specific star or constellation to focus on and communicating this either by voice over the phone or by text message.
More Related Articles:
31 First Date Tips For Men And Women
25 Rainy Day Date Ideas To Salvage Your Plans For Fun
115 Of The Best Love Messages For Your Wife
Share a diary you can send each other by snail mail and take turns adding to it. Or sign up for an online diary and share the login info, so you can read each other’s entries and add your own.
Either create an old-school mixtape with a cassette tape or CD, or create a playlist on YouTube, Spotify, etc., and share it with the one you love and can’t be with. Invite them to a virtual dance off or just use the playlist as background music for your next virtual date.
18. Make YouTube videos for each other.
Create your own YouTube videos for a private channel and invite your partner to it. You can create YouTube videos with personal messages or with contributions from other family members or friends your loved one can’t visit with face to face.
Pick out an adult coloring book to share and take turns coloring part of it. Send it back and forth by snail mail, along with a love note and something for your partner to enjoy while coloring.
Cheap Long-Distance Date Ideas
20. Watch a movie or stream a show together.
If you arrange to watch a specific movie or stream a show at the same time, you can text each other your thoughts and reactions and hop onto a webchat afterward. Or if that’s not a possibility, you can at least enjoy the show and a favorite snack together.
21. Play a game of 20 questions.
Over web chat or via text message, you can play a game of 20 questions — each of you taking turns asking the other a question after answering theirs.
Make it more about the time spent, though, than about whether you get up to 20 questions.
22. Build a Pinterest board together.
Dream together with a new Pinterest board you can both add to — maybe for a renovation project, maybe for travel, or maybe for something only you two would get excited about. Whatever it is, you can build a Pinterest board for it.
23. Build a Tumblr blog together.
If you both prefer Tumblr, why not build a Tumblr blog together. Or you could build separate blogs and follow each other and comment on each other’s posts. Follow your favorite fandoms and reblog content with a note only your partner will understand.
24. Text each other daily gratitude messages.
Make it a priority to text each other three gratitude messages every day — at a specific time or as consistently as possible — to lift each other up and remind each other to focus on your blessings in the present moment, even if you can’t be in the same room together.
25. Start your own two-person book club.
Start a book club for just you two, and meet up regularly by video chat or texting to talk about the chapters you’ve read. You could also make video “reviews” for each other and save them to a shared drive. Or send each other links to your videos on YouTube.
26. Schedule daily check-in dates.
Set a time for daily check-in dates by phone, text, or video chat. Maybe most days you’ll text but on one or two nights a week, you’ll use Skype or Zoom to have a face-to-face talk about what’s been going on and how you’re both feeling.
Swap recipes you love, so the other can make the recipe and share pics and personal reviews of the results. It doesn’t have to fit a specific type — breakfast food, soups, stir fry, burgers, etc. Choose something you know the other will enjoy (if all goes well).
28. Go on digital vacations together.
Find online 360 degree tours of places you both want to visit and check them out together, keeping in touch via phone talk or text. Enjoy the tour and then share a drink together as you picture yourselves sitting together and enjoying the view.
29. Send “open when” letters.
Send each other “open when” letters for those moments when you’d want to be there, but you can’t. Some ideas? “Open when you feel lonely,” “Open when you can’t sleep,” or “Open when your care package arrives.” Enclose these notes in a message they can enjoy now.
Long-distance date ideas can keep your connection strong.
Now that you’ve looked over these long-distance date ideas, which ones stood out for you the most? Which would you like to try today — or this week?
As touch-starved as we can get when our loved ones have to be far from us, it’s still possible to show them our love in creative and memorable ways.
And it’s still possible to get to know each other better and grow together as a couple.
Proximity definitely makes things easier. But when you can’t have that, I hope the ideas in this post will help you make every day apart easier on you both.
How do I make long distance dating fun? ›
- Watch a movie together. Thanks to the rise of streaming, you can watch movies or TV shows on opposite sides of the world. ...
- Go for a walk. ...
- Take up a hobby together. ...
- Cook and eat a meal together. ...
- Plan a date night. ...
- Make each other a part of family and friend gatherings. ...
- Do chores together.
- Have A Sweet Picnic In Your Backyards. ...
- Cook A Delicious Meal Together. ...
- Have A FaceTime Fashion Show. ...
- Watch Your Favorite Movie. ...
- Go On A Wine Tour In Your Space. ...
- Have A Virtual Game Night. ...
- Create A Playlist Of Your Favorite Songs.
- #1: Send Your Boyfriend a Lovebox.
- #2: Surprise Them With Their Fav Food Right at Their Door.
- #3: Give Him a Special Shoutout on Social Media.
- #4: Write Him a Sweet Letter.
- #5: Send Him a Good Morning Text Everyday.
- #6: Send Him a Care Package With His Favorite Things.
- Plan and carry out a scavenger hunt or treasure hunt for your partner.
- Go tubing, kayaking, or canoeing together.
- Go fruit picking together.
- Enjoy a candlelight dinner together at your home or apartment. ...
- Go for a bike ride together.
- Go bowling together. ...
- Attend a local festival together.
- Speak Their Love Language. This is an important step, but rarely executed. ...
- Speak Their Love Language. ...
- Do New Things Together. ...
- Do New Things Together. ...
- Be Consistent. ...
- Be Consistent. ...
- Surprise Them. ...
- Surprise Them.
- Let him take initiative. ...
- Don't let him think he has you too soon. ...
- Don't say 'yes' to him every time. ...
- Make him feel like he can't live without you. ...
- Make the time you spend together amazing so he wants you around more. ...
- Make him miss you by not contacting him.
Sending a random, thoughtful flirtext is a great way to show him how much you care. Randomly text, “I love you” or “I'm crazy about you.” It's simple, it's quick, and it will make him smile. Send a recent sports fact about his favorite player like, “Ole Chipper just hit his 400th home run last night, eh?”How do I get him to beg for attention again? ›
- 27 Surefire Ways to Make a Guy Beg for Your Attention. Photo by ALICE POLLET on Unsplash. ...
- Get a Sexy New Look. ...
- Add Some Spice to Your Day-to-Day Routine. ...
- Make an Entrance. ...
- Be Mysterious. ...
- Show You Have a Sense of Humor. ...
- Show Off Your Confidence. ...
- Be a Flirt.
Old-fashioned "phone games" or word games like Mad Libs or 20 Questions can be a fun way to do something together on the phone that's not just talking. Playing retro games can also break up the same-old Skype routine and give you a glimpse into your partner's quirky, sillier side.What should I ask my gf? ›
- What makes you feel sexy?
- What do you believe love is?
- Do you believe love can last forever?
- Do you like big displays of affection?
- How do you feel about PDA?
- What is your favorite flower?
- What's your favorite date night movie?
What can couples do for fun at night? ›
- Go on a picnic.
- Take a walk.
- Sing karaoke.
- Go eat at a restaurant you've never eaten at before.
- Go to a coffee shop. We love this one! ...
- Play board games. It's amazing how much fun they are as an adult! ...
- Go see a movie. Flip a coin to decide who picks if you have differing opinions!
- Go to an arcade.
- Start watching a new show on Netflix together. ...
- Send each other surprise deliveries. ...
- Try using a couple's app. ...
- Send each other ~saucy~ texts. ...
- Send each other snail mail. ...
- Plan what you'll do for your next IRL date. ...
- Play video games together. ...
- Try a “miracle berry” date.
Old-fashioned "phone games" or word games like Mad Libs or 20 Questions can be a fun way to do something together on the phone that's not just talking. Playing retro games can also break up the same-old Skype routine and give you a glimpse into your partner's quirky, sillier side.How can I be intimate in a long distance relationship? ›
- Plan out your communication. Especially if you are in different time zones! ...
- … and the long-distance date. ...
- Don't knock video or phone sex. ...
- Practice eye gazing. ...
- Be present when you connect, whether that's virtually or IRL. ...
- Share all the things, big and small. ...
- Long distance relationships come with their own unique challenges.