Writing a definition essay is difficult for many students, especially if they don’t choose the best topic. The issue becomes more complicated if you have a lousy topic because it will be hard to find details that prove your point. The truth is, you do need to learn these definition essay topics if you want to get a top grade. They set apart definition essay topics from other essay types because they cannot be resolved and settled with personal opinion but must rely on facts provided in the textbook or course syllabus. They are also heavily dependent on critical thinking because you need to ensure that your evidence is appropriate and supportive of your claim. To get an A for this kind of essay, you will need to read this article and find the best definition essay topics.
What’s a Definition Essay?
An essay is a short piece of writing about a particular topic. The definition essay is a typical assignment given by teachers to students in many academic subjects. Sometimes, it is referred to as a formal definition or descriptive definition essay. Regardless of the name, it is a powerful way to write about something uniquely. This type of writing can be used on any subject and help you develop a deeper understanding of the topic under focus. A definition essay attempts to explain what a term means instead of how it is used in context. Therefore, a good definition essay should identify what the word means and its relevance within the context of the issue at hand.
How to Write a Definition Essay?
Essays often present arguments and ideas, supported and developed with evidence and examples. An essay may be an opinion piece, an analysis of a topic, or a review of someone else’s work or research. However, the defining characteristics of an essay are that it presents a series of ideas to discuss a subject or explain something and that it is written in prose (as opposed to verse). While writing your definition essay, consider using some of the following key elements:
- Introduction – Your introduction should provide some background on the topic so that your readers have a context for your discussion.
- Body – Your body paragraphs should contain information that explains each element of your definition.
- Conclusion – In your conclusion, you should restate your definition and then tie up any loose ends in your discussion using examples.
How Do You Choose Definition Essay Topics?
There are several ways to choose a topic for an essay. You can find your topic by first picking a subject, then narrowing the topic down. Here are some tips on choosing definition essay topics.
Brainstorming is essential for writing any type of academic paper. It helps writers choose the most appropriate ideas for their essays and develop them further. This step also helps writers come up with a title for their essays. The best way to brainstorm is by writing down all your ideas on a piece of paper and then arranging them in an order which makes sense. Some writers use mind mapping software, while others prefer more traditional sticky notes or post-it notes.
● Picking a Subject
Choosing a subject is the first step in writing a definition essay. Picking a topic, you know something about can help you write a better essay. A good idea is to choose something that interests you, so you’ll be more motivated to research it. Do you like cars? Then pick an automobile company to write about. If you love animals, then choose an animal and write about it! Also, make sure your subject is not too broad or too narrow. It has to be just right. For example, if you decide to write about horses, how many horses can there be? You’ll soon run out of things to say. On the other hand, if you choose “horses” as your subject, what specific type of horse will interest your reader?
● Know Your Audience
When choosing definition essay topics, the first thing you have to do is know your audience and what they expect from your paper. You can easily find out by asking them or researching them. Of course, audience expectations vary from one class to another. For example, if you are an ESL student, you want to focus more on vocabulary and grammar than rhetorical style. However, if you are writing a paper for a literature class, you are expected to develop an argument based on the main points raised in the book or story you are analyzing.
● Make a List of Possible Themes
The next step is to make a list of all possible themes you could cover in your essay. If you don’t make a list, it will be difficult to choose between them later. In addition, this step helps ensure that you don’t forget any ideas in the future as well.
10 Eye-Catching Definition Extended Essay Topics
What is the most eye-catching definition essay topic? The one catches the reader’s attention and holds it until the end. Your topic needs to be surprising, exciting, and engaging. Trying to find an eye-catching definition essay topic could be a nightmare.
- The Definition of Love
- The Definition of Beauty
- Definition of Success
- The Definition of Art
- The Definition of Happiness
- The Definition of God
- The Definition of Time
- The Definition of Death
- The Definition of Money
- The Definition of Life
Definition Essay Topics for College Students
Are you trying to figure out how to write a definition essay? Then, check out these 20 great topics!
- What is morality?
- What is music?
- What is time?
- What is democracy?
- What is global warming?
- What is education?
- What is love?
- What is war?
- What is money?
- What are dreams?
- How do you know if you’re happy or not?
- What are emotions and feelings?
- What are best friends for?
- How can I be successful in life without doing what I want to do?
- How does power work in society today, and how does it affect me personally?
- Why should I go to college at all if I’m just going to have to pay back those loans anyway?
- The term urban legend. Are they true stories that have been passed around as truth?
- The term divine intervention. What does this mean? Does God get directly involved with the lives of people on earth to help them out of difficult situations?
- The term fossil fuels. What are fossil fuels, exactly? Are they any different from other types of fuel?
- The term loves at first sight. How do people feel about this idea? What does it mean? Do people fall in love at first sight? Or is it more likely that they develop feelings after time together?
20 Definition Argument Essay Topics
The keyword here is “argument.” When you’re writing an argumentative essay, it should be evident that you’re trying to prove someone else wrong. In other words, you’re trying to win an argument. The following are 20 definition topics that you can use to write your essay:
- The concept of democracy
- The idea of equal rights
- The idea of equality
- What is fair play?
- Love and compassion
- What is a hero?
- What is freedom?
- What is a role model?
- What does it mean to be human?
- What does it mean to be alive?
- Living in harmony with nature
- The concept of peace
20 Technology Topics For Definition Essays
There are a lot of ways to approach the technologies that surround us. In this article, we will explore twenty technology topics for definition essays to get you started. Whether you are writing a research paper, an essay, or just want to learn more about the topic, these topics are a great place to start.
- Mobile Computers
- Technology and Ethics
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Social Media and Technology Addiction (SMAT)
- Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS)
- Computerized Medical Records (CMR)
- Mobile Devices for Seniors (MS4S)
- Technology in Education and Learning Styles
- Smartphones in Education and Learning Styles
- Online Counseling/Therapy/Support
- Explain DNA and how it works.
- The impact of technology on our childhood experiences
- The role of technology in school learning
17 Happiness Definition Paper Ideas
Happiness is a very subjective term. It means something different to everyone. We all have our perception of what happiness is and how to achieve it. Not only do we want to be happy, but we want others to be happy as well. Students should be encouraged to think about happiness from their perspective because it will help them better understand how happiness can affect their lives. The following are some examples of paper ideas for students who want to explore the concept of happiness:
- How Do We Define Happiness?
- Why Do People Pursue
- What Are the Different Aspects of Happiness?
- How Can We Achieve Happiness in Our Lives?
- How Does Religion Affect Happiness?
- How Is Happiness Measured?
- What Does it Mean to be Happy?
- Can we be happy if we Don’t Have What We Want?
- Happiness is Not Money—Is Wealth Important?
- What would you like to do when you are happy?
- What are the things in life which bring you true happiness?
- Why doesn’t marriage make everyone happy?
- Is there anything that could be considered as a significant cause of unhappiness?
- Good vs. Bad Happiness
- Are There Different Types Of Happiness? Are They All Equal?
- What Are The Sources Of Happiness? How Can We Find Them In Our Lives?
- What Is The Connection Between Money And Happiness?
Definition Essay Structures
When you use a definition essay structure, you define a new term or phrase and then explain what the word means. In your essay, you will represent a term, describe its importance, and provide an example of how to use it in a sentence. This kind of essay is straightforward to write. Here is an overview of the steps involved in writing a simple definition essay
The introduction should include all the following: 1) A hook that grabs the reader’s attention 2) A thesis statement that tells the reader what to expect in the body paragraphs 3) An explanation of why you are writing this essay.
Paragraphs Each body paragraph should contain these sections: 1) A topic sentence that includes the principle word or phrase being defined 2) The definition itself—what the word or phrase means in context 3) At least two examples of how the word or phrase is used in sentences—what it means when it’s being used correctly.
The conclusion should summarize everything said in the body paragraphs. The final sentence should repeat the thesis and then restate it as a question for the reader to consider.
3 Benefits of Writing Definition Essay Topics
Students often complain that they don’t like to write definition essays. Many of them consider it the most boring type of essay writing. However, this type of writing has its benefits. Let’s take a look at them below:
1. Definition essay topics are easy to find
Indeed, you have noticed that students usually don’t find topics. The main reason is that they can be found everywhere: in everyday life, in newspapers and magazines, on TV and radio, and in social networks. Defining words is simple because it requires you to create something new or add your own opinion. While some people may say that definition essay topics are dull and uninteresting, others will argue that they are interesting because they ask students to collect information from various sources and provide definitions for different terms or words.
2. Definition essays are easy to write
These essays don’t require you to dig deep into your imagination or think of something completely new, as with other types of assignments. All that you need to do is read the material carefully and provide definitions for different words or terms that are used in the examples you’ve given.
3. It helps in developing your writing skills
There are many benefits of writing definition essay topics, and one such benefit is the development of your writing skills. To write a good definition essay, one should have excellent command of the language and even better vocabulary skills. You can develop your vocabulary skills by reading newspapers, novels, stories, etc. By doing this, you will learn how to use words correctly in sentences and make them strong enough to express your ideas clearly. You can develop your skills further by reading books on grammar or online tutorials available on the net.
When defining essay topics, the sky is not even close to the limit. There are thousands if not millions of topics you can choose from. The second thing to consider is your audience. This will dictate the depth and range of information you need to focus on in the definition essay. Once you have an idea of what you want to write about, think about your potential readers and what they would be looking for or expecting from your term paper.
Share this Post
- Your favorite childhood memory.
- Most recent travel experience.
- The death of a friend or relative that influenced you.
- The loss of a pet that changed your life.
- Your best friend and how you met.
- Your first time on a plane.
- The first book you read.
- The worst memory you have.
Best 20 definition essay titles:
What is your thought process about the word trust? What do you think about the word kindness? Sexism and its relativistic use in the society. What do you think about the usage of the words Gumption? Does the word racism applies well to the Whiteman and how do you define its use?
A definition essay is meant to describe a complex term that has significant background and historical origin, and is a relatable term. The word “love” is an excellent example of such a term — as it is seemingly impossible to explain this concept very briefly.How do I find a topic for my essay? ›
Your topic should be something that you already know something about, something you would like to learn more about, and something you care about. Also consider what topics you react to, are puzzled by, are skeptical about, or which inspire you.What is the best definition of topic? ›
noun. top·ic ˈtä-pik. : the subject of a discourse or of a section of a discourse. : a heading in an outlined argument or exposition.What is the most common essay topic? ›
- My Family.
- My Best Friend.
- My Hobby.
- My Mother.
- My Father.
- My Favourite Teacher.
- My Aim In Life.
- My Favourite Game – Badminton.
- “What is your favorite thing about your personality?”
- “What do you love most about your home?”
- “What's one habit you want to get rid of and one habit you want to keep?”
- “What was the first big purchase you made as an adult?”
- “What does a perfect day with the family look like?”
- Who is the funniest person you know?
- What is your happiest memory?
- Tell about the most inspirational person in your life.
- Write about your favorite place.
- When you were little, what was your favorite thing to do?
- Choose a piece of art or music and explain how it makes you feel.
- Descriptive essays. Descriptive essays provide a detailed description of your subject. ...
- Expository essays. Expository essays explain a topic neutrally. ...
- Definition essays. ...
- Process essays. ...
- Compare and contrast essays. ...
- Argumentative essays. ...
- Persuasive essays. ...
- Cause and effect essays.
You need to clearly state what your word is along with its traditional or dictionary definition in your introductory paragraph. By opening with the dictionary definition of your term, you create context and a basic level of knowledge about the word. This will allow you to introduce and elaborate on your own definition.
The purpose of a definition essay is to provide the readers with a clear, concise, and scientifically-grounded definition of a particular word, phrase, or concept. Simply because of how brief a definition essay format is in its nature, the length of a typical definition essay is only between ½ page and a whole page.What is a student definition essay? ›
A definition essay is a writing type that is often assigned to students for their academics. Whether you are a high school student or a college student, you will have to write this assignment professionally.How many paragraphs are in a definition essay? ›
However, the common minimum definition essay length is five paragraphs (introduction, main body, and conclusion).How do I choose a good topic? ›
- Choose a topic that's appropriate to the length of your paper. ...
- Avoid a topic that will tempt you to summarize rather than to discuss or analyze. ...
- Choose a topic that interests you. ...
- If your assignment requires research, choose a topic on which you can find material.
- Body. First Point. Second Point. Third Point.
- Education: Sex education, homeschooling, school bullying, non-smoking campus, learning disabilities, Common Core, affirmative action.
- Equality/Human Rights: ...
- Community/Social Issues: ...
- Romantic Relationships: ...
- Family/Friends: ...
- Recreation/Hobbies: ...
- Work: ...
The "topic sentence" is the sentence in which the main idea of the paragraph is stated. It is unquestionably the most important sentence in the paragraph. The topic sentence generally is composed of two parts: (a) the topic itself and (b) the controlling idea.What are 3 examples of a topic sentence? ›
Topic Sentence: Cooking requires a number of different skills. The topic is "cooking" and the controlling idea is "many different skills." Topic Sentence: It is important to be ready before buying a house. The topic is "buying a house" and the controlling idea is “it is important to be ready."How do you write a definition paragraph? ›
A paragraph is a series of sentences on a specific point or topic. A well written paragraph must have a topic sentence which states the main idea: what the paragraph is about. While some say the topic sentence can be anywhere in the paragraph, it is best to put it as the first sentence in a paragraph.What are the easiest topics to write about? ›
- Favorite foods.
- Favorite tv shows.
- Favorite form of entertainment.
- Favorite book.
- Favorite video games.
- Favorite season.
- Favorite movie.
- Favorite holiday.
- On 11 lists. James Baldwin – Notes of a Native Son (1955)
- On 6 lists. George Orwell – Shooting an Elephant (1936) E.B. White – Once More to the Lake (1941) Joan Didion – Goodbye To All That (1968)
- On 5 lists. Joan Didion – On Keeping A Notebook (1968) Annie Dillard – Total Eclipse (1982)
An essay is a focused piece of writing designed to inform or persuade. There are many different types of essay, but they are often defined in four categories: argumentative, expository, narrative, and descriptive essays.What are the 5 common topics? ›
The five common topics are: definition, comparison, circumstance, relationship, and authority. We start with definition. If two people can't agree on the definition of whatever they want to discuss, there's no point in moving forward with the conversation.What are 10 things to write about? ›
- 1 Get inspired by a song.
- 2 Reinvent a childhood memory.
- 3 Write about a person you see every day but don't really know.
- 4 If your pet were a person . . .
- 5 Write about what you wanted to be when you grew up.
- 6 Grab a writing prompt to-go.
- 7 Use Google to find related topics.
The five types of essays you should write are Expository, Narrative, Persuasive, Argumentative, and Descriptive.What are good issues to write about? ›
- Technology & Social Media.
- College & Career.
- Mental & Physical Health.
- Race & Gender.
- Parenting & Childhood.
- Ethics & Morality.
- Government & Politics.
The main parts (or sections) to an essay are the intro, body, and conclusion. In a standard short essay, five paragraphs can provide the reader with enough information in a short amount of space.What are the 3 basic structure of essay? ›
An essay consists of three basic parts:
Introduction. Body. Conclusion.
- Analyse the question.
- Define your argument.
- Use evidence, reasoning and scholarship.
- Organise a coherent essay.
- Write clearly.
- Cite sources and evidence.
A formal definition consists of three parts: The term (word or phrase) to be defined. The class of object or concept to which the term belongs. The differentiating characteristics that distinguish it from all others of its class.
- Share a shocking or amusing fact.
- Ask a question.
- Dramatize a scene.
- Kick it off with a quote.
- State your thesis directly.
- Pick the right tone for your essay.
- When you're stuck, work backwards.
- Wiktionary is a dictionary, not an encyclopedia. A definition does not need to contain every piece of information known about a subject. ...
- Keep it simple. ...
- Avoid complicated terms. ...
- Avoid specialized terms. ...
- Avoid circularity.
A catchy title is the headline of a content article that contains elements to persuade readers to read it. Writing an effective headline can be an essential element of your content. A catchy title can bring a customer to your article by explaining what's in it or what value the reader can get from clicking on it.What makes a title attractive? ›
Overall, a catchy headline should speak directly to the part of the brain that subconsciously cares. However, a catchy headline is nothing without quality, thoughtful, engaging content that is shared and admired. Remember: that's the reason we wanted the catchy headline in the first place.Do definition essays need a thesis? ›
A definition essay does not have a regular thesis statement since the one who is writing it doesn't need to prove anything. If your goal is to write a good definition paper, then you just need to add a primary assertion of your work to the last sentence of the introduction section.Can you use first person in a definition essay? ›
Ultimately, if you feel that using first person has a purpose or will have a strategic effect on your audience, then it is probably fine to use first-person pronouns. Just be sure not to overuse this language, at the risk of sounding narcissistic, self-centered, or unaware of others' opinions on a topic.How is a definition essay organized? ›
Organizing essays involves considering the traditional structure, according to which there is an introduction, main body, conclusion, but also deciding how many paragraphs should be used for each section and what information should be each paragraph's function: denotation, connotation, description, analysis, ...Who is a good student definition? ›
There are so many ways to describe a good student. The most common terms are hardworking, being good in academics, submitting work on time, being regular, participating in-class activities, and achieving high grades. Apart from academics, there are some more qualities which make a student good.What are the 10 qualities of a good student? ›
- Self-Discipline. Discipline is a must in a student's life. ...
- Diligent. A student should be determined towards studies or any work allotted to him. ...
- Punctual. Time is money so every student must value time. ...
- Courteous. ...
- Team player. ...
- Confident. ...
a person formally engaged in learning, esp. one enrolled in a school or college; pupil. a student at Yale. 2. any person who studies, investigates, or examines thoughtfully.
Don't start with a dictionary definition
It can be tempting (and very easy) to start your essay with something like, “According to Merriam-Webster.com, happiness is a state of well-being and contentment.”
The definition argument focuses on clarifying a definition for a controversial term or concept. In other words, a definition argument is one that asserts we cannot make clear assertions or possess a clear understanding of an issue until we understand exactly what the terms mean.What should a good definition include? ›
A definition does not need to contain every piece of information known about a subject. Rather, it should contain information about the word and what the word refers to, and enough explanation to allow a user to distinguish that word from most other words. Don't include usage notes in a definition.What are the three parts of a good definition? ›
A formal definition consists of three parts: The term (word or phrase) to be defined. The class of object or concept to which the term belongs. The differentiating characteristics that distinguish it from all others of its class.What are the 4 important elements of a good argument essay? ›
Information is used, but it is organized based on these major components of an argument: claim, reason, evidence, counter-claim, and rebuttal.What are the steps to write a definition? ›
How to Write Simple Definitions. Step 0 - Limit your definitions to a single concept. Step 1 - Research the Term. Step 2 - Determine the Term's Concept. Step 3 - Choosing the Definition Type.What is a good simple definition? ›
🍎 Elementary Level. adjective, bet·ter, best. morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious: a good man. satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree: a good teacher; good health. of high quality; excellent.